Under Texas law, pet owners maintain strict liability for the actions and misconduct of their pets. If you or a member of your family was bitten by a dog, talk to an experienced San Antonio dog bite injury attorney at Tinsman & Sciano, Inc.
What to Do and Not to Do After a Dog Bite
Most dog bites occur when the dog is under control of the owner, either on a leash or in the near vicinity on the property. In many cases, the victim knows the owner. If you or your child suffered a dog bite, here are some common-sense things you should do to protect your rights.
- Record the details of the dog bite, including the owner's name, location, and identity of any witnesses who may have been present.
- See a doctor to treat the wound. Even minor dog bites that break the skin can result in bacterial infection and nerve and muscle damage.
- Report the dog bite to the police, including full details of the time, location, witnesses and owner.
- Do not engage in a personal discussion about a private settlement for your injuries.
- See a qualified, experienced dog bite injury lawyer to discuss the details of your accident.
What If You Are a Friend or Relative of the Dog's Owner?
Many people are understandably concerned about suing a friend or family member after suffering a dog bite. At Tinsman & Sciano, we understand your concerns. In most cases, the dog owner's homeowner or other insurance will cover the cost of the settlement, with very little financial damage to the individual. We handle your dog bite case professionally and discreetly, always understanding that while you are entitled to financial damages, you may also wish to maintain a relationship with the owner of the dog.
Experienced San Antonio Dog Bite Injury Attorney
From offices in San Antonio, we advise and represent clients throughout Texas. Call us toll free at 877-220-0867 or contact us by e-mail to arrange a free consultation with an experienced San Antonio premises liability lawyer today.
Se Habla Español!
Daniel J.T. Sciano is board certified in each of the following categories:
Board Certified, Texas Board of Legal Specialization - Personal Injury
Board Certified, Texas Board of Legal Specialization - Civil Trial Law