Skip to main content
HVAC exhaust vent

Poisoned by Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas, unable to be detected by humans without the use of special devices. Often called the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide is produced when we burn fuel to create heat. Automobiles, furnaces, stoves, generators, and gas-fired appliances all produce some carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide becomes a problem when those heat sources are inefficient, broken, or poorly maintained—as many Texans unfortunately discovered when they took shelter from the storm.

Carbon Monoxide prevents our blood from carrying oxygen. If we breathe too much, our tissues quickly become starved for oxygen, resulting in permanent and irreversible damage, or even death. Carbon monoxide poisoning is particularly harmful to the human brain: many survivors are left with a lifetime of cognitive difficulties for which ongoing costly treatment and therapy is required.

Early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, flu-like symptoms, and, according to a recent Tinsman & Sciano client, numbness and tingling in the face.

Do You Have a Case?

In many cases, the source of the carbon monoxide is an improperly maintained, serviced, or repaired combustion system. Attorneys from Tinsman & Sciano have handled cases resulting from furnaces and water heaters that were improperly maintained by the property owners and management companies. In one case, the exhaust vent system that was supposed to carry the poisonous gases away from the home was not properly repaired by the property’s owner—and a family of five suffered permanent injuries as a result.